My 15 Minutes of {Fame}


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...








I know this is sort of tooting my own horn, but I am excited so you're just going to have to deal with it.

I have never in my life had something that I was good at, so my inner child is twirling around in glee right now. Yesterday I finally received a copy of the summer issue of CorrespondenceART magazine and I have been anxious to see it because I'm in it. Although I have had my work published in a magazine once before, this time I have four different projects in one issue. They even used the "Make A Wish" box that I made for my friend, Dusti, in the Table of Contents, which for some silly reason gave me a huge rush. I admit it... I really enjoy seeing my name in print. It's like getting a big fat stamp of approval on my artwork. I submit cards and random projects more than anything else. I sort of have a fear of having my scrapbook layouts rejected because they are so much more personal to me. I did get some courage and submit a few recently, so we will see.

So here is my current claim to fame...
I have filmed two segments for HGTV's Crafters Coast to Coast (which aired in April 2005 and again in October 2005). I had a wedding card published in Paper Trends magazine. I worked on two design teams (one was an online store and one was a scrapbook kit club). I was quoted in PaperKutz magazine but that doesn't really count for much. Lastly, I helped to inspire a small board game manufacturer to create a scrapbooking game called "Oh, Scrap!" (they even gave me credit on the back of the package). That's all I've got. Compared to some of my scrappin' friends it isn't much at all, but I am OK with that. I am not trying to be famous or get a job with a prestigious manufacturer. I am just a stay-at-home mom who gets a thrill out of my little accomplishments. Everyone has to set goals and this is just one way I challenge myself.

If you want the inside scoop, I have challenged myself the most and pushed myself furthest by being outgoing and friendly on the message boards and in person. By nature I am not outgoing or friendly. *LOL* I have had to make an enormous effort to be a nicer person and to enjoy the company of others. I'm dead serious! I have started yahoo groups, put myself in charge of a class reunion and recently encouraged other local scrappers to join me in a monthly Girls Night Out. On a smaller scale, I have joined not one, but TWO Secret Santa exchanges. I can't even tell you how far outside of my comfort zone these actions are. Just by blogging and putting myself out there, I know I have come a long way. Fortunately, this has paid off and I now have some truly wonderful and hilarious friends. I can honestly say that I am actually becoming a people person. (I know some of you who have known me for years are laughing your butts off right now.) It's true! I am really enjoying the company of others and look forward to meeting new people. I will even go so far as to say.... I LIKE PEOPLE!

For the record... No! Hell has not frozen over!! I have actually thawed out a bit.


7 Responses to “My 15 Minutes of {Fame}”

  1. Blogger Tracy 

    Wow - how cool to be validated in that way! But, I thought your 15 minutes of fame was from your garlic chicken crockpot recipe you shared with the pub on 2peas? Ha Ha, JK.

  2. Blogger Stephanie 

    Wow Karen! Go girl!!

  3. Blogger Sandra 

    Congrats Karen!
    I love the cards and box you made! Never seen correspondance art IRL, it looks cool!
    I'm so happy for you! I hope you will get published a lot more! :)
    Lova ya, Sandra

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    You are the best friend ever. Ever. So thoughtful. You are my gift from L2S. Proof there is always a silver lining!

    Congrats K. You do amazing work!

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Loved reading your blog Karen! YOur stuff looks awesome in the magazine, hope to find it here soon so I can see it IRL! :)

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hooray! That's awesome about getting published! I understand your reluctance about submitting things because they are personal... I feel the same way!

    I'm so glad that you're taking active steps towards becoming a people person. If you hadn't, I would have never met you! And from the brief amount of time I spent with you at GNO, I've decided that you rock! :)

  7. Blogger Julie Ann Shahin 

    Congratulations!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Karen (Cupcake) Carter
  • From Orange County, California, United States
  • I am happily married to my best friend and proud to be the Mommy of two sweet little boys. My world revolves around these three handsome guys. Everything I do is for or because of them. I am happy to the core!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

A Few Of My Favorite Things

Organizations I Support


ATOM 0.3