A Whirlwind Weekend


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



We had a really exciting weekend! Friday I took my Mom to see Made Of Honor with Patrick Dempsey. It was cute. I don't watch a lot of chick flicks, but my Mom loved it. Saturday was Drew's birthday so we all went out to breakfast then caught an early showing of Speed Racer, which I had high hopes for when I first heard about it. I expected it to be terrific. After hearing the early reviews I was worried it would be painful to sit through. It wasn't either of those. It was fine and somewhat entertaining. The kids thought it was awesome and that's what counts. Drew and I dropped Mom and the boys off at home and headed out to the Roller Derby.

The fabulous OC Roller Girls hosted "Roll For A Cure" this weekend along with Keep A Breast Foundation and Breast Cancer Angels. They had a silent auction that included several plaster castings of roller girl torsos that were painted/tiled/collaged/etc by local artists, which were quite impressive. (That refers to the actual busts and the artwork.) Loads of people were walking around with "I love boobies" stickers on and the OC Roller Girls wore special pink t-shirts proclaiming their love of boobies. There were even boob cupcakes for sale. Drew got one with a piercing that was hilarious! I would also like to mention, the food vendors had great food and amazing prices. The live music was a nice touch too. I wish I would have taken my camera on Saturday to catch the glory of it all. I did remember it Sunday when we took the kids, but they took most of the pictures (see below).

There were teams from Minnesota, Oregon, Texas, and California. Not to forget Team Awesome who are a handpicked team of kick-ass all-stars from leagues all over the country. We couldn't get enough. We went back for more on Sunday after my massage, manicure and lunch date for Mother's Day. This time we took the boys with us to see what they thought of all the craziness. They liked it a lot. Noah was screaming and cheering for the girls. He especially liked Kina Wahine and Chris XX Cross. Cole was distracted by the cotton candy, but he enjoyed it too.

Ok, now I gotta tell ya... I had always loved watching the Roller Derby when I was a kid and sitting there really got me excited. I am seriously considering joining in the fun! The biggest concerns I have right now are that I need quite a bit of skate practice (easy enough) and their practice nights are the same nights I go to Fight Club. I'll have to figure something out if I really want to skate, I guess. I spent some time talking to Roxie from OC Roller Girls and picking her brain. She is a doll and the boys loved her. She introduced me to a few members of the team who were all very nice, especially to Cole. Everyone always falls in love with his mohawk and galoshes.

So, to make a long story short...
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ROLLER GIRLS!




Labels: ,


2 Responses to “A Whirlwind Weekend”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Thank you so much for coming out and supporting the OCRG and RFAC... Your sons are adorable and so polite :)... We cant wait to see you out on the rink with us or at least at our next bout...

    Roxy

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hello...
    You can do fight club at derby practices.... we can teach you some moves...

    d.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Karen (Cupcake) Carter
  • From Orange County, California, United States
  • I am happily married to my best friend and proud to be the Mommy of two sweet little boys. My world revolves around these three handsome guys. Everything I do is for or because of them. I am happy to the core!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

A Few Of My Favorite Things

Organizations I Support


ATOM 0.3