So much to learn


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I have this life goal to learn something new every year. I think it's good to get outside of your comfort zone a little and stretch your brain or body. Last year I went to dirtbike training camp, learned how to drive a snowmobile, took photography & editing classes and also took Italian cooking lessons. This year I was all set to get scuba certified, but medical limitations made that impossible. So.... I need to choose something new before this year gets away from me. (Can't believe it's already June.) I would love to hear some suggestions. Anything at all. It doesn't have to be intense or elaborate. I have a few ideas, but hoped maybe some outside input would light my spark. Add to my list.

Some things I would like to learn to do:
cake decorating
a foreign language
Tae Kwon Do
calligraphy
greek or roman mythology
oil painting
Tai Chi
Yoga
Japanese brush painting
play the banjo or bongos
bartending
sign language
gaffiti art
furniture upholstery
crochet

Some things I would like to learn to make:
sushi
gourmet candy
beaded jewelry
stained glass
artisan bread
chocolate sculptures
balloon animals


13 Responses to “So much to learn”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    cake decorating! that's what i want to do! whenever i see the courses offered at michael's i always want to take it!

  2. Blogger Laura H. 

    Calligraphy would be great for scrapbooking and other crafty things. I love calligraphy.

    Tai chi is a lot of fun and supposedly great for a lot of your internal organs (I've never seen proof but how does one know the health of one's spleen until it stops working?).

    Sign language is really fun to learn and would be great for your kids! My family learned signed language (because we thought for a while that my brother was deaf (doctors did too)) and it has been fun the entire 7 years we've used it (though we don't sign much anymore).

    Beaded jewelry is great but requires a lot of patience (at least in my experience). If you have the time and patience, go for it!

    Balloon animals is another really fun thing for both you and the kids. My dad, two siblings, and I learned how to make balloon animals and it's never been a bore!

    The banjo is something I would like to pick up as well! Depending on how much time you want (or have) to commit to it, the banjo would probably prove to be really entertaining! (For now I'm sticking with my guitar.)

    Oh, and about the graffiti art: that's something I really want to learn too!

  3. Blogger liannallama 

    I was going to say a foreign language, but if you have any health issues, Yoga is wonderful!

  4. Blogger Deene Souza Photography 

    I vote for grafitti art! And then . . . you can come paint my son's walls!!!!!

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    you sound so much like me....i vote for two things at once - one creative and one active. that way if one overwhelms you, you can move over to the other for a while

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I learned cake decorating years ago and was obsessed -- ended up having a little wedding cake business. I stopped because my addiction to paper took over:) If you choose this, go to a cake decorating supply store for lessons, rather than M's. You'll learn lots of tricks outside the Wilton method.

    Calligraphy is something I've played around with for years. You can learn that from a book. This will totally go with scrapping. So much fun too!

    Yogais a great thing for everyone, but I've yet to try it. Plan to sometime in the future. Good luck!

  7. Blogger Breanne Crawford 

    i really want to learn Yoga! thats my goal!

  8. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Oh i love that you do goals every year too! It is so fun to look back and see your accomplishments isn't it?

    You go girl...i took tae kwon do and loved it!

    hugs

  9. Anonymous Anonymous 

    K- Go for bartending! Could you please get me a beer?

  10. Blogger Lara Neves 

    I'm dying to learn to do cake decorating. After a good friend of mine made a gorgeous cake for dd I want to be able to do it too!

  11. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I would love to learn sign language. Great list!

  12. Blogger Birgit 

    How about dutch... ;)
    Birgit

  13. Blogger Robyn 

    Cool list Karen! I'd love to try some of those things too.

    I agree with Catherine, if you take a cake decorating class do it at a cake decorating store. I also had my own little company for several years doing Wedding Cakes and sculpted cakes. Very fun and creative but hard to do with three little kids! LOL

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Karen (Cupcake) Carter
  • From Orange County, California, United States
  • I am happily married to my best friend and proud to be the Mommy of two sweet little boys. My world revolves around these three handsome guys. Everything I do is for or because of them. I am happy to the core!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

A Few Of My Favorite Things

Organizations I Support


ATOM 0.3