Happy Birthday, Dad


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...










My Dad should be turning 73 today, but he died in 2000. I can not even begin to explain the pain I feel deep into my core even after 6 years. Vernon John Herbers was born in Bancroft, Iowa in 1933. He served in the U.S. Army and married my mother in 1957. They were very happily married until the day my Dad died. My Dad was an amazing man. He was a true patriot. He was a loving husband, father & grandfather. He was a real friend. He was one of the good guys. He impressed upon me the importance of working hard, of being independent and of helping others. He was handsome, kind and loyal. He had an infectious grin and a firm handshake. He was just perfect in my eyes.

Dad loved to BBQ, go fishing and work in his yard with my Mom. My parents always had the best garden on the street. They liked to pull out lawn chairs on summer evenings and sit out front to read the paper and split a beer. They were the all-American parents. My Dad always rolled up his sleeves to help Mom in the kitchen with the cooking or dishes. He could iron clothes and polish shoes like you wouldn't believe. He always wore a suit and tie to work and church, but the minute he got home it was a white t-shirt and jeans, until he retired, then his uniform became a blue plaid shirt and khakis. He was very tidy and always smelled like he just showered and shaved.

My Dad really loved being a grandpa and all the kids called him Papa. He had the opportunity to know only four of his granddaughters and three of his grandsons. It makes me sick to think that he never once had the chance to hold my boys, my brother's daughter or his two great-granddaughters. I feel like these five children were all cheated out of something very special because they never knew him or hugged him.

I need to stop here. This is much harder than I thought. Please excuse my rambling, but I can't seem to keep head straight when I think about my Dad. It is still overwhelming to me that he is really gone. Here are some photos of my Dad that I love.


14 Responses to “Happy Birthday, Dad”

  1. Blogger Jana 

    What a beautiful tribute to your father, those photos are priceless. I know he's looking down smiling on you and know that one day you'll be able to see him again.

  2. Blogger ~~~Francy~~~ 

    he was a lucky man to have you for a daughter.

    (((((((hugs))))))))

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    What a beautiful tribute to your dad. :)

  4. Blogger Unknown 

    awesome words Karen.

    I love the photos and the warmth you show in talking about your dad.

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    oh my goodness, karen. what a wonderful tribute. it sounds like you were blessed to have each other, and i know that your dad would be proud of what a great woman you are.

    ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Girl, this brought tears to my eyes :) This is a wonderful tribute to your father and that you shared it with us, thank you. I hear you on the grandparent thing, my mom never got to hold 5 of her grandbabies, including all three of my children. Just keep the memories alive and share them often with your cute boys, they will feel how wonderful and special of a man he was.

  7. Anonymous Anonymous 

    You look so much like your father Karen. I have not lost a parent yet, but you have confirmed how hard it really will be. Those were wonderful pictures of your father and wanted to thank you for sharing that. :)

  8. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Karen I feel like i know your dad from your post. What a wonderful tribute to an amazing father. You are a very very lucky lady.

    I hope someday i will meet you.
    Hugs

  9. Blogger liannallama 

    Oh, so sorry he's not here in person to share with you. Your photos are wonderful and it sounds like he was a wonderful father!

  10. Blogger Breanne Crawford 

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  11. Blogger Brigitta 

    Dear Karen, I know exactly what you mean. My father passed away 28 years ago this August (I was 13 he was only 33) and I still miss him terribly. There are still moments that I get angry for not having been able to share the important moments in my life with him, and that he couldn't be there when I needed him in bad times. I do try to get over this anger though and think of all the good times I did have with him.
    Good luck, he would be proud of you

  12. Blogger Kelly Goree Photography 

    ohhhh, karen....i feel the same about my father who also died 6 years (almost 7) ago now when I was 7 months pregnant with his first grandchild. the pain is still with me every day and it's especially hard around his birthday or anniversary of his death. :( I feel for you and offer you huge hugs...and a happy birthday to your daddy.

  13. Blogger Nancy N. 

    Karen this post is a wonderful tribute to your dad and his continuing presence in your heart after his presence on earth has ended. While he may never have known your children, they will know him through your love of him.

    You are a lucky daughter to have had so much...my father is still present on earth but not in my heart.

  14. Blogger Nancywithajones 

    (((((((((((((karen)))))))))))))

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Karen (Cupcake) Carter
  • From Orange County, California, United States
  • I am happily married to my best friend and proud to be the Mommy of two sweet little boys. My world revolves around these three handsome guys. Everything I do is for or because of them. I am happy to the core!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

A Few Of My Favorite Things

Organizations I Support


ATOM 0.3