Everyone hail to the pumpkin song!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



As a child, I loved Halloween. I would start planning it months in advance. What costume would I wear? How many pumpkins would I carve? How far would I be allowed to walk that year? I savored every little detail. My Mom made most of my costumes as a child and they were always very special. Some of my favorites were the red clown, the Hobo, the Indian Princess, the Gypsy and the French Maid. On the big day I would wear my chosen costume to school and proudly march in the parade. I could hardly wait for the afternoon bell to ring so the real fun could begin. I would rush home to freshen my make-up and hairdo and then impatiently wait for the sun to go down. That darn sun never set fast enough on Halloween, but once it did I was free to begin trick-or-treating around our neighborhood. My parents walked with us as we went door-to-door gathering sweets. As we walked, I always watched the sky for witches and ghosts. When we got back home we would dump all of our candy out on the floor and sort it out. My Dad would pull out anything with a loose wrapper and fill a bowl for himself with all of the candies we didn’t like. Funny thing is… there always seemed to be loose wrappers on his favorite candy bars, which did not end up in the trash but in a bowl at the back of the freezer.
my clown costume
(made with love by mom)

As an adult, I still adore Halloween. I start the planning process a couple of months in advance. What costumes will my children wear? I love it when they choose something creative that I can make for them from scratch (see photos below). How many pumpkins will we carve? One year we had over 30! How far should we walk this year? I guess not much has changed. We spend hours carving out pumpkins and picking just the right candies to pass out to classmates. (Sadly, not one child has knocked on our door in the five years we have lived in our Anaheim Hills townhouse.) As I walk with my children along their chosen trick-or-treat path, I point at the moon and tell them to watch for witches and ghosts flying high across the night sky. Now I am the one searching the loot bags and sneaking out candy bars with the so-called “loose wrappers” to hide in the freezer. I hope that I never grow up so much that I forget the magic of Halloween.
Noah's beloved superman costume

Cole's pink flower with a bug on it
(Daddy helped me make this one.)

Cole's glow in the dark skeleton bunny with green frog boots

Noah's spooky-ookey ghosty

As the moon climbs high o'er the dead oak tree,
Spooks arrive for the midnight spree.
Creepy creeps with eerie eyes,
Start to shriek and harmonize.
Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize.
(Grim Grinning Gjosts lyrics by F. Xavier Atencio)


1 Responses to “Everyone hail to the pumpkin song!”

  1. Anonymous Debbie, Peace Love and Momminess 

    You carved 30 pumpkins?! Whoa. I'm with you on the fun of Halloween, thx for reminding me of all the fun memories. Debbie :)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Karen (Cupcake) Carter
  • From Orange County, California, United States
  • I am happily married to my best friend and proud to be the Mommy of two sweet little boys. My world revolves around these three handsome guys. Everything I do is for or because of them. I am happy to the core!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

A Few Of My Favorite Things

Organizations I Support


ATOM 0.3