A day for the history books


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



On a positive note...
I am thrilled that Barack Obama will be our President and I am proud to have participated in this beautiful historic event. After shedding tears during his eloquent speech, I feel hopeful for our great country again. I ran upstairs and whispered promises of a better future into the ears of my sleeping children as soon as it ended.

On to the downside....
I am deeply saddened that Prop 8 passed. On July 4, 1776 our Founding Fathers signed their names to the Declaration of Independence envisioning a country that would guarantee basic freedoms to ALL of its citizens. So what happened? There will be a place in the history books for this day when Californians used their right to vote to eliminate the rights of others. There will be a whole chapter about it right​ next to the Trail of Tears, slavery, the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, the Jim Crow Laws,​ internment camps, Zoot Suit Riots and the Ku Klux Klan (just to name a few).​ I am sickened and disgusted in the fear, hatred and lies the Mormon and Catholic churches spread to persuade their followers to vote for discrimination. The amount of money they spent to push this hate-fueled campaign could have fed the hungry, sheltered the homeless and protected those who can not protect themselves. A shameful shadow has been cast in the name of "christianity". It sickens me to the very core, so I am utilizing my RIGHT​ to Freed​om of Speec​h, while​ I still​ have it.

Labels:


0 Responses to “A day for the history books”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Karen (Cupcake) Carter
  • From Orange County, California, United States
  • I am happily married to my best friend and proud to be the Mommy of two sweet little boys. My world revolves around these three handsome guys. Everything I do is for or because of them. I am happy to the core!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

A Few Of My Favorite Things

Organizations I Support


ATOM 0.3